Skip to content

The Tragedy of the 11th World Scout Jamboree

16 January 2012

The 11th World Scouts Jamboree was held at Marathon, Greece in August 1963. The Philippine contingent, boy scouts from ages 14 to 19, represented the best of the generation and the idealism of the Philippine youth.

On 28 July 1963, the Eqypt Air plane that was carrying the Filipinos crashed on approach to Bombay Airport into the Indian Ocean. Their bodies were never recovered. Three Filipino scouts were sent as a token delegation, days after the tragedy. In remembrance of the scouts and scouters, a cenotaph (an empty tomb) was erected inside the Manila North Cemetery in the Philippines the year after the accident. Also, street in Quezon City’s Baranggay Obrero, Laging Handa and Paligsahan, bear the names of the fallen.

THE SCOUTS

Scout Ramon V. Albano, Age 15

Ramon “Chito” Valdes Albano was born on 3 September 1947. He was the the fifth child and fifth son of eleven children of Dr. Paulino E. Albano and Dr. Pilar Valdes-Albano. The couple owned and managed what was once called the St. Rita Maternity Hospital in Gagalangin, Tondo, Manila.  He attended the Immaculate Concepcion Academy and the Colegio de San Juan de Letran, where his interest in the Cub Scout movement grew. In 1955, he was dubbed the Letran’s “Cub Scout King” by Yvonne de los Reyes, the reigning Miss Philippines. An Air Scout for the Manila Council, he was in the drum and bugle corps and enjoyed the outdoors. He was 15 years old in 1963. A street and the school owned by his family were named in his memory.  View his family tree.

Patricio “Tec” Dulay Bayoran, Jr. was born on 17 November 1944 in Manapla, Negros Occidental.  He was an Explorer Scout from the Pasay City Council; and was a senior patrol leader.  He was 18 years old in 1963. The Bayoran Memorial, erected in Manapla, Negros Occidental, also bears the names of the other members of the Philippine delegation to the 11th World Scout Jamboree.  View his family tree.

Gabriel “Gabby” Nicolas Borromeo was born on 24 March 1949. He was an Air Scout from the Manila Council. He was 14 years old in 1963.

Roberto “Bontsie” Corpus Castor was born on 28 April 1949. He was a First Class Scout from the Quezon City Council. He was 14 years old in 1963.  View his family tree.

Henry C. Chuatoco, Explorer Scout, Manila Council – Born 16 September 1945

Victor O. de Guia Jr., First Class Scout, Baguio Benguet Council

Jose Antonio C. Delgado, Life Scout, Manila Council – Born 11 August 1949

Felix P. Fuentebhella Jr., First Class Scout, Camarines Sur Council – Born 19 July 1948

Pedro H. Gandia, Star Scout, Manila Council – Born 06 February 1948

Antonio M. Limbaga, First Class Scout, Zamboanga City Council – Born 14 June 1948

Roberto P. Lozano, First Class Scout, Dagupan City Council – Born 7 February 1944

Paulo C. Madrinan, Explorer Scout, Pasay City Council – Born 26 January 1943

Jose Fermin G. Magbanua, First Class Scout, Negros Oriental Council

Romeo R. Rallos, Star Scout, Quezon City Council – Born 22 April 1946

Filamer S. Reyes, Explorer Scout, Cavite Council – Born 16 June 1942

Wilfredo M. Santiago, Star Scout, Manila Council – Born 28 May 1949

Benecio S. Tobias, First Class Scout, Tarlac Council – 23 August 1946

Antonio R. Torillo, Eagle Scout, Cavite Council – 10 July 1946

Ascario A Tuason Jr., Star Scout, Manila Council – Born 28 November 1947

Rogelio C. Ybardolaza, First Class Scout, Quezon City Council – Born 9 September 1946

[article in progress]

About these ads
9 Comments leave one →
  1. pinoyleonardo permalink
    20 January 2012 17:21

This story always makes me feel sad. These young men could have been somebody now. But i guess that’s their destiny :(

• Mona permalink*
      23 January 2012 18:03

I feel the same way. :)

2. 24 July 2012 14:09

When their death anniversary comes, I can’t help my self thinking of these young men happily bidding farewell to their families before boarding the plane (which unknowingly it was their last) and being engulf by the huge seas thereafter…. These thoughts really tears me apart

3. 20 November 2012 12:51

Scout Santiago was my uncle Letran should give them more recognition than a statue and a flower on their death anniv

4. 3 February 2013 13:08

20130203.1120

This year, on 2013-07-28, will be the 50th death anniversary of the 24 scouts and scouting officials who died in a plane crash enroute to the 11th Boy Scout World Jamboree in Marathon, Greece. May their death be remembered as the Scout Law states: A scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent. What we did to our fellowmen, we did that to God.

5. 22 February 2013 14:23

My dad was supposed to be with this delegates but he failed to find someone who could sponsor him. According to my aunt, when they learned about the tragedy, they wept though not in sadness but as a thanksgiving that my dad didnt make it. My dad is Scout Luis M. Sol, Jr. He lives now in Paranaque..

6. 23 March 2013 23:33

One of them is my dad’s first cousin Romeo R. Rallos.

7. 3 July 2013 00:58

I was a delegate at the 10th World Jamboree in Mt. Makiling, Los Banos, Laguna. I vividly remember the brotherhood we all shared at this grand Boy Scout World Festivity. I met many young Boy Scouts from different countries and learned about other cultures and some similarities the world’s youth have in common. I truly enjoyed to be part of the Fire Brigade as a fireman. As early as 1961 I contemplated in going to the 11th World Jamboree under the sponsorship of the Knights of Columbus, but my parents dismissed the idea because it will impede a portion of my college education. Reluctantly, I succumbed to their wish. I consider myself lucky.

8. Brian C. permalink
    20 September 2013 14:26

My grandfather was a Senate President and is buried at North Cemetery. Since I was little I would always look with sadness at the statue of a hand configured in a Boy Scout salute and the story that came with it. It’s at the entrance so it’s hard to miss. I wasn’t even born when this occurred, but my heart goes out to those who were lost and most especially to their families.